Wednesday, August 01, 2007
Cheryl Cox: Too Little, Too Late
From Voice of San Diego:
Labor: Done with Gaylord
Union officials said today they rejected the proposed labor agreement Gaylord Entertainment sent to them last week, saying the company's last-ditch effort to resuscitate the stalled convention center and resort development plans was "dishonest."
"We take this proposal as the final sign from Gaylord that they are not interested in pursuing Chula Vista," said Tom Lemmon, the business manager for the San Diego County Building & Construction Trades Council. Lemmon said the council's board unanimously rejected the offer, which was obtained by the Union-Tribune.
Lemmon and other labor officials said they were unhappy with the developer's reluctance to ensure that local workers were hired to construct the proposed $1 billion facility.
Gaylord told port and city of Chula Vista officials in a letter last month that organized labor's demands were too costly and that they would abandon their plans for the Chula Vista bay front until circumstances change.
Chula Vista Mayor Cheryl Cox is scheduled to hold a press conference at noon. Stay tuned for more on these new developments.
-- EVAN McLAUGHLIN
Wednesday, August 1 -- 12:09 pm