Saturday, June 19, 2010

Internet providers need regulation, according to my personal experience

Cox Communications just erased all my emails in one account. I was hoping they would add a feature that allowed me to search my old emails. I wanted to make sure I had copies of all the important emails before I closed the account, but now that option is closed off forever. They said they erased all my emails when I didn't check the account for 3 months, even though I was only using a fraction of the total storage they claimed they were allowing. In fact, they were allowing me no storage at all. Clearly, they don't want to pay to upgrade their service with a search feature. They prefer to keep their email service substandard, and let their customers rely on free email providers.



The Broadband Providers Doth Protest Too Much, Methinks

By Tony Bradley, PC World
June 19, 2010

The broadband industry and some politicians have reacted strongly to an FCC effort to have an open dialogue. In response to a Thursday vote by the FCC to open a Notice of Inquiry (NOI) period to consider the options for reclassifying how broadband service is governed, some broadband providers have responded with undue hyperbole that leads one to question their motives.

The FCC has been tasked by Congress to develop and implement a National Broadband Plan, but the industry is challenging its authority to do so.A statement from Verizon following the FCC vote says "Reclassifying high-speed broadband Internet service as a telecom service is a terrible idea...

No comments: