Saturday, February 23, 2008

Correction regarding Coziahr case

David Bejarano
I made an error when I created my Feb. 17, 2008 post about Chula Vista Elementary School District and David Bejarano. I said that CVESD had decided not to appeal the Coziahr case. I found out how wrong I was on Feb. 21, 2008, and immediately removed the incorrect statements.

When CVESD didn't file an appeal within 60 days of the verdict, I thought it had decided not to appeal, and said so in the Feb. 17, 2008 post. I was wrong. The actual deadline is determined by this rule: "Unlimited Civil appeals are filed within 60 days from the date of mailing of the Notice of Entry of Judgment or if the notice is not
mailed, 180 days from the date of entry of judgment."

I made an incorrect assumption based on my own personal experience in this case. My appeal of a Superior Court decision was rejected as late-filed because I didn't file it within 60 days of the decision. My lawyer, Elizabeth Schulman, wrote me a letter telling me that the deadline was 90 days. So I thought the Danielle Coziahr v. CVESD case had the same deadline.

In my first version of this post, I wrote that David Bejarano seemed to be improving CVESD.

It turns out that the reality is not quite so positive.

Which is not to say that David Bejarano is doing anything particularly wrong. Even if he wanted to change things at CVESD, he only has one vote.

The only honorable thing he could do would be to resign from a corrupt board, and as we all know, Americans are not in the habit of resigning on principle anymore. The days of the decent and honorable US Attorney General Elliot Richardson are long gone. Many current government officials are making Richard Nixon look good. The CVESD board seems to be following the Nixon playbook line for line.

No comments: