Sunday, January 20, 2008

Terry Grier is a good choice for San Diego Unified School District

I'm impressed with the San Diego Unified school board for selecting Terry Grier as its new superintendent.

For years I have advocated paying teachers more at the worst schools in order to attract the best teachers.

Grier instituted this precise system in North Carolina.

I wrote to Superintendent Lowell Billings of Chula Vista Elementary School District with this suggestion, but I never got a response. Last month I finally had a chance to ask him what happened to my emails. "You just forward them all to your lawyers?" I asked. "Yes, well, actually I forward them to Tom Cruz (Assistant Superintendent for human resources), and he forwards them to the lawyers."

I guess Stutz law firm didn't like my idea, either. Or perhaps it would be more correct to say that they didn't care. Stutz seems to prefer litigating against kids to working for kids.

Dan Shinoff once said, when he served on the board of his kids' private school, that he did it because he wanted to "give back." Nice spin, Dan. Wasn't it about your kids, Mr. Shinoff, rather than other people's children? Wasn't it more about exerting control than practicing altruism?

No comments: