Monday, January 21, 2008

Cox Communications in San Diego says if I have a problem with my bill, I'm welcome to go to the FCC

Cox Communications has apparently trained their billing department to tell people to go to the FCC if they don't like their bills.

At least, that's what "Raven" told me just now about a $294 phone bill for three phone calls in December.

I had joined the "Simply Worldwide International Calling Plan" several months earlier. At that time I was told I'd be paying 19 cents a minute for calls to Central America. (Instead, I was charged $2.40 per minute.)

I asked Raven if she could see the call I made a few months ago on her computer screen.

"You make an entry for each call, right?" I asked.

"No. That's just for training purposes. Sometimes we do, and sometimes we don't." Raven said.

Sounds like a smart business practice. Sometimes they make a note that a customer called, and sometimes they don't?!?

I think Raven could see my call on her screen, but someone messed up somewhere, and she didn't want to admit the truth.

If Cox Communications is so greedy that they aren't happy with the huge profits they make legally, and they feel the need to cheat in order to make even more profits, maybe I should contact the FCC. I'm guessing I'm not the only one this has happened to.

UPDATE: I called back before I filed the FCC complaint, but Raven's supervisor, Michelle, wouldn't talk to me.

I asked to speak to Michelle's supervisor.

“Ma’am (contemptuous voice, long pause), we don’t escalate that high. This is not the way to take care of it.”

Then she hung up.

I guess calling the FCC is the only way to get someone to take a second look at Miss Raven's decision.

So I sent an FCC complaint. It's remarkably easy. Just go to this webpage and fill out a simple form online!

No comments: