Thursday, April 08, 2010

An Easter/Passover poem dedicated to Stutz Artiano Shinoff & Holtz and their pals Dan Puplava, Diane Crosier and Lora Duzyk at SDCOE

The stanzas below are from Maya Angelou's poem Still I Rise.

Did you want to see me broken?
Bowed head and lowered eyes?
Shoulders falling down like teardrops.
Weakened by my soulful cries...

Does my sassiness upset you?
Why are you beset with gloom?
'Cause I walk like I've got oil wells
Pumping in my living room...

You may shoot me with your words,
You may cut me with your eyes,
You may kill me with your hatefulness,
But still, like air, I'll rise...

1 comment:

Character Education said...

Its been a very inspiring poem for me. The thing which attract me in this poem was this line:

"You may shoot me with your words".

I hope you 'll share more with us.